Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why me, God?

Have you ever wondered “Why me, God?”  I have.  I’ve wondered why I have to be one of the people in the world who has to struggle SO hard to lose weight when I’m surrounded by people who have no trouble stopping when they’re full or who actually CRAVE carrot sticks and raw celery (personally, I think they’re lying and secretly hate those stringy green stalks as much as I do).  I’ve wanted God to either tell me why I have to go through this or just make it go away.  Some might say that since I’m perfect in every other way, I have to have one thing that keeps me humble, but I’m not so sure…
Well, yesterday I met someone who could have asked, who should have asked, “Why me, God?”  but didn’t.  I went to Phil Campbell to drop off a mailbox our church purchased for a family that lost their house in the tornado.  I expected to see damage but I did not expect to find the aftermath of a nuclear explosion.  The only thing missing from this scene was the mushroom cloud on the horizon (see pictures below).

This young woman and her husband lost their trailer, all of their belongings, most of their pets and acres of timber ready for harvest.  The woman had actually been sucked out of her trailer into the tornado where she pretty much looked into the eyes of one seriously confused cow before she was dropped 52 feet straight down to the ground.  She was then picked up again and thrown 25 feet right at the threshold of their storm shelter.

As I stood in the midst of their loss and gazed at unimaginable devastation, as I listened to this woman tell her story, I thought about myself and my own question, “Why me, God?” and I realized that my struggle is more of a blessing than a curse.  As I continue to face myself in the mirror and become more and more honest with myself, God and all of you, I’m simply becoming a stronger and better person.  I haven’t lost anything (except pounds I hope!). I have no cause for grief or pain or anguish (except when I’m facing down a particularly delicious piece of chocolate cake).  I have nothing to rebuild but my own sense of self-worth.

So, today, instead of saying, “Why me, God?”  my prayer will be, “Thank you, God!”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I'm officially stalking you now. :) One major calculation that you need to make is the BMR (basal metabolic rate). http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ Once you know this number, you can plan your meals, calories, snacks, drinks, etc... around it. Oh, and please don't starve yourself. That's the quickest way to become de-motivated. Baby steps, baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in to let you know you are not alone---- Liz ( for some reason I am Sissy on a Blog, but it is me just the same)

    ReplyDelete