Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Day Off

Okay, so it's Friday, my day off, and this is the day of the week when I am the most undisciplined.  Also, the excitement of the first two days of "The Blog Experiment" is wearing off and my brain is saying, "oh wait, you mean you were serious when you said no junk food?!"

So, how to spend the day without eating everything that's not nailed down?  Well, I need to clean the house, so for motivation I'll put the "Hoarders, Buried Alive" marathon on the T.V.  That's a great way to keep me going.  Only trouble is, I have to be careful not to throw away things I really do need!

The other thing I'll do is go the grocery store.  I often keep my refrigerator in the condition of a 25 year old bachelor: Ketchup, mustard, a 3 year old jar of jelly and something not even a forensic scientist could identify.  I guess if I have edible, healthy food in the house I won't be as tempted to go to McDonald's for dinner.

That and a few appointments I have to keep should fill the day pretty well and keep me out of trouble.  Thanks for all the support and advice, it really is helpful.  Now I will go drink a large glass of non-carbonated, room temperature water to fill myself up!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! By the end of your journey, you will either tolerate or hate me. :) I love that you have remained committed to this effort. And I see on your daily stats that what you are doing is DEFINITELY working... hee, hee.... But in all seriousness, please be aware that things come down to choices and your choosing to start life anew is going to lead to benefits sooner and later. Your back, knees, feet, etc.... will start hurting less and less and you continue to drop. Every lb. of weight lost reduces the stress on your knees by 4 lbs.!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, you rock! Thank you for all your encouragement. And I promise, I will not hate you and I will not tolerate you either. I will be thankful for your friendship :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sam-s-Choice-Clear-American-Flavored-Sparkling-Water-Beverage-Golden-Peach-2-l/11303923

    I like this when regular water gets boring. Actually, I hate regular water. Anyways, it is calorie free. I know Harris Teeter sells their brand of water in peach too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were four choices that clearly made a difference in my journey.

    1.) Eliminating all sodas including diet sodas and replacing them with water bottles, coffee, and tea. Think of it this way, buying a 32-pack of 20-oz. bottles of water at Sam's Club is cheaper than buying 32 20-oz. bottles of any kind of soda. You can keep your caffeine craving with coffee or tea.

    2.) Use the stairs instead of the elevator.

    3.) Didn't eat anything that I know I would NOT enjoy eating. Instead, portion controlling the foods I love eating.

    4.) Slow down with the night-time snacking. I used to make excuses just to drive to Taco Bell / McDonald's / Wok 'N Roll / Gas Station just because eating was "something to do at night while watching TV." Go ahead and have a snack at night but not a "4th meal."

    ReplyDelete
  5. have been thinking about why i've chosen to change things in my life, and generally it's because i've found something that i wanted more..., and when i wanted that something else more than i wanted the current state of affairs, i made the change. sometimes i lost a taste for the former, often times didn't. wondering what it is that you truly want more than what you are now that is driving you/drawing you to make this change.... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete