Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 1, May 18, 2011

This whole blogging process is an experiment for me and for my life. One of the reasons I am so over weight is I am extremely undisciplined. The only disciplined thing about me is I never stick with anything long enough to see results. So, for me, the hardest thing about this blog is actually sticking with it for a whole year. If you're reading this, I thank you for taking a second to check out my little life - this speck in the universe that seems so big to me, but in perspective is so very insignificant.

I am a size 26/28, the largest size that Lane Bryant sells. I weigh, I think, 320 lb's, and I don't fit into most of my world. Chairs are often too small, planes are a source of great anxiety, and dating is completely out of reach right now. This is the largest I have ever been.

Part of my disorder is I have the opposite self-image of an anorexic. When I look in the mirror, I see myself as MUCH thinner than I really am. It’s helpful in that I have a lot of self-confidence, especially for an overweight girl in the U.S.  But, it's a problem because it's difficult to stay motivated when you don't really know HOW much you need the exercise and the healthy food and all that. I've tried posting awful pictures of myself around the house and on the fridge, but I am also really great at not seeing things I don't really want to see. The word of the day, boys and girls, is DENIAL!

This is my first step, admitting I have a problem.  Any idea where I go from here?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! You know me! I'm here for support. I've done the weight-loss thing, succeeded, slipped, gained back, and now this is my second-go-round. I'm using this time in my life to make a more permanent change in my lifestyle. Whatever it takes to make it work, we can do this together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    You are so awesome- you have meant so much to me since I was a teen. I am cheering you on this journey as you have cheered for me in the past!
    Love, Ashling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashling, that really means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow....seriously....u go girl!!!! i am rooting for u as well as for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    How brave, I love it! You are smart in realizing that accountability helps so much. I certainly know it does for me. I know you can do it, you are one of the smartest and coolest chicks I know. I'm here any time if you need anything. I'll be following you!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura, you know we all love you and support you for sure. I too struggle and know you will need all the support you can get. Someone gave me this site, it is absolutely free and you can log food intake, get recipes, etc. It is nice because it tells you where you are too high or too low in vitamins, fats, etc. I like it because it is free AND it is thorough with actual feedback. I started it because my doctor diagnosed me with high BP, so I am watching my sodium intake through it. Definitely has helped...but again, you have to do it everyday to track it. It grades your day which is interesting but it also gives you different articles to read to try and help in your journey.

    http://caloriecount.about.com/foods

    miss you bunches. Go kick some arse.

    I will check in later.

    Goochie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Laura - I'm cheering for you!

    I went through my own weight loss journey about three years ago and lost 50 lbs. There's so much I could tell you from my own experience, but I'll narrow it down to the three most important things that I found:

    1 - Weigh yourself every day. You can't change what you don't measure! Losing weight is a math equation: Beginning weight + calories eaten - calories burned = ending weight. This equation is the same every day!

    2 - Keep a food journal. You have to write down every single thing you put in your mouth, period! I also put in my weight each day so I could see over time how the food I was eating affected my weight.

    3 - Pay attention to food labels. I never counted calories per se, but I could always ballpark it. You should at least know about how many calories everything you eat contains. When you do eat out, most restaurants have nutrition information online. Check that out before you go so you'll be informed, but beware, restaurants make money by serving *delicious* food, not healthy food!

    I wrote a blog entry a while back about my journey. Check it out - http://www.stewartgrace.com/index.php/2009/12/01/death-of-a-fat-man.html

    There's so much more I could tell you, but more than anything, I just want to encourage you! Good luck - I know you can do it!

    Stewart Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, you're my hero... No, seriously, you just became my "Awesomest Person of the Year" or something like that! I was blown away by your honesty and I was like, "she's in MY family (woo-hoo)!" Honesty is really high on my scale of desirable traits in people. I really appreciate what you said and I can totally relate, yes, even with the DENIAL part! What a surprise, huh? Not like Bob was my dad or anything! Anyway, I'm here with you on this. I look forward to reading everyday and getting to know YOU better too.

    My first bit of "cents" would be to take small steps that you know you can accomplish and don't overwhelm yourself with a program if you haven't been successful with them before. I personally got tired of diet programs VERY quickly. I only wanted to make changes that were going to be lasting changes in my habits. 2 things I would do right away:

    1) If you haven't already, remove ALL sugared drinks from your diet (really because of calories) - only diet soda, unsweet tea, etc. I highly recommend Diet A&W Root Beer. If you have to do a sweetener, Splenda is our sweetener of choice, though I know there's controversy around them. Also, Minute Maid has a great diet orange drink (like kool-aid) that we enjoyed for a long time.

    2) If you haven't seen it, check out my blog at http://compelledtocomment.blogspot.com/

    Love you!!!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Diet soda make you retain salt and makes you thirsty so try and do flavored water instead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura-- I'm in awe of your honesty and bravery. You CAN do this!

    I see from earlier comments, especially from Stuart & Jeremy, many of the good tips I got from Weight Watchers. It's a good program IF you commit to following it AND go to the meetings on a regular basis-- but it's not necessarily for everyone. It works best for people who need guidance and a specific plan to follow and are willing to keep at it over the long haul. It isn't easy, but it does give you a proven roadmap.

    My best advice to you is to find and use ANYTHING you can that will motivate you, no matter how off-the-wall it might seem. Perhaps an affirmation each morning-- looking in the mirror and chanting, "I am worthy of a healthy body and an easier life!" Focus on the things that will improve in your life once you lose the weight (make a list-- write it all down). You really need to start with your brain-- re-train your way of thinking and how you deal with food and exercise. Over-eating isn't always about hunger. You must make permanent lifestyle changes-- get rid of the old, automatic and destructive behaviors and develop healthy habits.

    I'm behind you all the way! You deserve to be healthy and happy with yourself!

    Much love and support,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete