Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Lone Extrovert

Well, I survived the long weekend with my weight loss in tact, and that is no small thing!  I've got to say that I'm pretty pumped up to see that little red line on the graph go down so much, and that makes me even more motivated to do well today.

You might be impressed to find out that I participated in a marathon yesterday.  It was amazingly long and at times I felt like I wanted to just quit and go throw up, but I  persevered and ALMOST finished the whole thing.  You might be impressed, but you shouldn't be.  I was a passive participant in a Criminal Minds marathon that got a little gross at times (hence, the nausea). 

I did not plan on taking part in the Memorial Day Criminal Minds Marathon, you know.  I actually woke up with all kinds of wonderful goals on my to-do list, they just never seemed to get done.  It's been documented that I am an off the charts extrovert who gets her energy and motivation from the people around her.  Consequently, living alone is not really the best situation for me.  I don't MIND living alone - in fact, I really like it - but I think I would be much better off if I had another human being around to keep me from falling into "The Recliner Zone" all the time.  Ever since I graduated from Seminary I have struggled with this and the older I get, it's gotten more challenging.  Being single at 37 is really no big deal (not like I thought it would be when I was in my 20's!) but it is difficult when all my friends are married with children and they have no ability to be spontaneous anymore.  Thus, all of my social engagements are scheduled and I have no one to call when I'm feeling the strong desire to just be around people.  I could pick up the phone to call someone to chit-chat, but that's not even an option most of the time because everyone's schedules are so busy.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm just stating the reality of my life.  I'm used to it and relatively at peace with it, but it's not necessarily what's best for me and my mental and physical health. 

I tried joining a gym, thinking that I could make friends with people there but it's amazing how NON-social the gym can be!  Everyone is plugged into their music or their little individual T.V.s and no one really looks anyone else in the eye.  It's weird to be surrounded by people and still feel alone.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can branch out and meet other single young adult people in Florence, AL?  Remember, I have nothing against married people.  I mean, hey!  Some of my best friends are married!  But like I said before, I am in need of other people who are able to be spontaneous like I am.  I really think it would go a long way towards moving me from a lethargic life style to an active one. 

I am ready and willing to receive the wisdom from all of my cyber-buddies.  Bring it on sage ones!

Word to your mother!
Laura

11 comments:

  1. You might try Match.com-- some of my pals have had good luck with dating sites, but I haven't gotten the guts to try in yet.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura -

    Your old classmate Molly here. I'm a single 37-year old as well and completely understand what you're talking about.

    I recommend checking out http://www.meetup.com to see if there are groups in your area, or to create one. Also, I had a great experience joining a local outdoor Boot Camp (BC4C) back in Atlanta. It was a great way to meet people and to exercise and to be social. Really supportive group in general; a lot of camaraderie just for being crazy enough to meet at the park at 5:45 a.m. I don't know if there's anything similar in your area. If not, I found classes are usually easier than general gym use, especially if I stick w/ the same class over a longer period of time.

    In general, I've found the best luck around shared activities, from knitting to bowling.

    I wanted to mention, too, I lost about 20 pounds recently and found that as I ate better, sugary foods lost their appeal. Also, I was relieved to realize it only takes 30-40 days to develop a new habit. I layered on one new habit at a time, letting them overlap by about a week (or longer, depending on how well I was sticking to previous habits).

    btw: I remember even in middle school you knew yourself and didn't compromise -- not many kids possess that kind of clarity and determination I don't think. I know I sure didn't! All to say I have complete faith you'll achieve whatever you set your mind to. Sending you my very best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Molly, Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. I hope you're doing well and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and to write such a great little note. Peace, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do chick night at least monthly at our church. From 6pm-11pm girls bring sonething to snack on, something to work,ie scrapbook, crafts, lessons etc. Just a bunch of girls getting together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura---
    I see you've lost almost 6 lb! In Weight Watchers you'd get lots of applause and a Bravo sticker--whoo hoo! That's a very good rate of loss after 2 weeks-- keep going! Don't worry if you yo-yo a bit, as long as the general trend is down. Slow loss is the healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off.

    Molly and Trish's are giving you great advice. I've never heard of meetup.com, but will definitely check it out for myself. Most of my friends are married, too, and it's so easy just to hang out at home and be a hermit. I don't even have a job to go to, since I also work from home.

    I'm also a fan of Criminal Minds, altho it gets pretty creepy at times. My fave is Morgan-- what a hottie. Yeah, I'm old enough to be his mother, but who cares--I'm just watching. (oh, to be 37 again)

    Love ya,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura! I am in charge of pestering you, so, here are my two cents. Please try to remember that your needing to lose weight, needing to get in shape, needing for someone to hold you accountable, needing company, etc... Those are actually all FALSE statements. The only things people NEED are air, water, and nutrients. However, if you WANT to lose weight, if you WANT to get in shape, if you WANT someone to hold you accountable, if you WANT company, then that is a totally different mindset and just changing that thought process will help you succeed in your endeavors. Your assignment during this journey is to slowly transform yourself into the person you WANT to become, not the person you NEED to become. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! I'm really glad you're sharing your journey. I think that it's really awesome.

    Also, just chiming in to second what Simon said. I wish I'd heard that ages ago. Wow. Really true. Thanks, Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I've been following you since you began this life changing journey but just haven't created an acct. so I can post comments. But here come a few nuggets from me...
    There's a young professional group in the Shoals called the 41/20 (something). They have an upcoming fundraising event at the Polo fields. You can read about it here...http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110601/NEWS/110539977/-1/sports60?Title=News-Briefs.

    As for group workouts I've always enjoyed the group classes at the Y. Zumba (yes, I know your take on that...CIA torture, etc...), Muscle works (I think that's what they call the group weightlifting class) and even the AOA class (Active Older Adult aerobics/step). I used to go to that before I started working. Even though I was the youngest in the room by at least 20 years they were all friendly and I enjoyed the work out and the teacher is terrific! The Jackson's from church used to go to that class. Maybe if you join me for the Muscle works & Zumba it might motivate my "growing ever larger" backside to get back to those classes. It would be fun to have a friend there. Let me know. Keep up the good work & Hugs!
    More nuggets later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl I am praying with you all the way

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura (again in this blog post),

    I have to say that you are doing really well and you've made it, I believe, past the 2 week point so congratulations to you for that! The comments made by you that are striking have to do with joining the gym and yet feeling alone. I betcha if you re-joined that gym and had a different mindset of getting in shape, losing weight, and developing that self-esteem, you wouldn't care that the gym was a non-social place. Your reason for going to workout would be to go and workout! Meeting people would come second. And if you don't meet people, you're still getting in shape, losing weight, and developing that self-esteem!!! The more you go, the more people you will recognize. Ironically enough, I spoke more to Carl at the Y than at church! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little girl, You have always impressed me and now I find you downright inspiring. This is a brave and ambitious adventure that you have undertaken. Your talent for expressing yourself comes as no big surprise but your ability to be utterly transparent is amazing. I have also decided to make a huge change in my lifestyle. I went to my first AA meeting. Keep me in your prayers.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete