Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Success?

It's official, I'm famous.  In all reality, that was the true goal of this whole Blog experiment - the weight loss goal was just a ruse!  Yesterday at the grocery store (see, I really did go!)  I ran into a woman from my book club who recognized me but I did not recognize her.  Right there in the Produce section she says, "I've been reading your blog!"  I knew the fans would seek me out eventually, I just didn't expect it to happen so fast.  (I was also VERY relieved that she caught me with a basket full of healthy food only!).

Today I took the children from my church to the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center and we really did have a good time.  We walked a LOT and saw tons of cool stuff and played on even cooler stuff and the kids were constantly eating delicious looking treats that I should not have.  At lunch I was really good (I was surprised that there were actually healthy options at the Food Court!) but I narrowly missed a terrible crash landing!  The children were all happily eating their pizza and hamburgers and fries, burning every fat and carb filled calorie before it hit the back of their throats, I'm sure.  And I asked one of the girls if I could have one of her fries (I promise, it was just ONE!).  As soon as I ate that one, someone else offered to give me all of hers because she was, and I quote, "too full to finish them!"  Have you ever heard anything so absurd?  I was tempted for sure, but then I thought of having to tell all of you about eating those little fried calorie sticks and I reluctantly turned them down. 

So, you see, this is proof that this blog experiment is a success, so far! 

Everyone has told me how brave I am for putting myself out there and, I guess I am.  But the way I'm really thinking about it is like this, people can see me.  It's obvious that I'm over weight.  It's not like I'm a functioning alcoholic or drug user who is successfully hiding my shame.  Oh no, this is right out there for everyone to see every day of my life.  So, stating it on a blog like this has not been hard at all, not like I thought it would be.  The other thing is, I live alone.  75% of everything I put in my mouth goes in without a single witness.  No one sees what I eat; no one sees me sitting in my leather recliner for 5 hours straight; and no one is holding me accountable - least of all me!  I think God gave me this idea because never once in the whole history of blogging have I ever read a blog, wanted to write a blog, or even knew what a blog was.  But one day earlier this week it came to me and within 24 hours I was accountable to all of you.  I'm gratefull for this opportunity to get healthy.  I'm grateful that any of you takes the time to read my silly words and I'm grateful for every word of advice and encouragement.  Thank you God for all of it!

12 comments:

  1. I am here and following....good luck.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, Laura! I also struggle with keeping at anything consistently, and I know that this habit is enabled by living privately. So I'm totally impressed that you're putting it out here for us to witness. I will try to stop by occasionally to be impressed. I really do like celery though. It helps to focus on the fresh feeling it gives your mouth. That is what I'm craving when I actually want to eat healthy things. I'm pretty sure that's a desire one could cultivate, if you think about it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! I've been waiting all day for your post. :) You are doing a fine job and making wise decisions. Next time, you choose not to eat something, please do so out of willingness and not reluctance. If you felt today like having those fries, go ahead! Just maintain portion control and never eat quickly. You must allow your stomach to tell your brain that you are full. And keep a hand-written journal of the food you eat. Write it down BEFORE eating it. That will make you consider whether or not to have that "double-quarter-pounder with cheese." :) love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in for the long haul hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wondered over from your sister posting a link on Facebook! Great job on starting your blog! I am also a new blogger and hope you will check out mine at www.itsuxtobefat.com I have lost a lot of weight in the past two years and hope that I could encourage you as you start this journey! Great job on saying "NO" to the fries. They probably weren't that good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read in cosmo about a detox cleanse system called blueprintcleanse.com It's a little pricey but claims to be great for anyone wanting to start a diet regimen or just hit the restart button on their body! Go Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. molly just told us about your blog- remember the old you at her wedding and cannot wait to see the new you.... what a valiant spirit you have. proud of you. jim/atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Laura! I'm enjoying reading this each day. You are inspiring me to take tiny steps for myself too. Since I lost dad, my concern for what I eat has taken a back seat to everything else, and I don't regret it - it's just life. But now I know that I should pick back up where I left off and start moving forward again, so I'm taking a tiny step today with you. I'm having a protein shake in my coffee (Vanilla - kinda works like coffeemate). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. do u know where ur blog is???? i'm missing my inspiration!!! don't stop now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey honey! Your sis sent the link, so excited for you! It's a pretty powerful thing to be able to write every day about your life, no matter what the goal is... I imagine lots more will come out of this than just the weight loss. : ) Love you! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Scooter! Inspiring! We can waddle through this together. Love ya. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Laura- Good luck on this journey! I'll be keeping tabs on you. . .and rooting for you the whole way. I look forward to watching you disappear the rest of the year (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete