Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Zumba, torture designed by CIA interrogators

Last night when I got home from work I snuggled with the kitties, put my dinner in the crock pot, changed into my workout clothes, and put in the Introduction to Zumba DVD. Let me just say that I am REALLY happy about the fact that my first foray into the land of Latin inspired dance/exercise was taken alone. There I was, all 319 pounds of me, in a baggy t-shirt and cut-off sweat pants looking at three of the tiniest, hipless, flat bellied girls I've ever seen. But they were smiling, so I figured at least they were nice and I didn't have to hate them - yet. All of the dance moves are named something that I can't recall right now, but just know that they are Latin and exotic sounding.

As the girls began their lesson and as I began to follow, my first thought was, "Hey, I can do this!" They broke down the first move in a way that let me follow along at a nice little pace and I was very pleased with them AND with myself. It's no small thing that I can feel good about myself while staring at the Doublemint triplets who obviously live on a diet of laxatives and serum of ipecac and who have an unusual love of physical activity. But I did feel good! Then we went on to the second dance move. I'm pretty sure it was choreographed by Circ du Soleil and was not meant for any normal human being made of bone instead of cartilage. But then to the credit of the triplets, they broke this move down also so that I was just barely able to catch on.

All in all, I was having fun so far. But then something distressing happened. I started to realize that I was getting tired and was not going to be able to finish the INTRO-DUC-TION! I had burned maybe 20 calories and I was already spent. Good grief, how embarrassing! I'd been feeling pretty confident after having walked all over the Space and Rocket Center keeping up with all the tiny moms and their children, but now that self-esteem was squashed. The reality is, I made it through one half of the Zumba introduction before I had to go lie down and take a nap! I am SOOOOOOO glad that I had this experience alone. If I had been in a class, I would have felt compelled to keep going even when my body was begging me to stop and I would have pushed myself until I'd either thrown up on the dance floor or had passed out cold. So, all in all, this went WAY better than it could have gone!

Needless to say, I did not eat my dinner before 4:00, or even 5 or 6:00.  Between the exercising and the recovering, I wasn’t ready to eat until almost 7.  Oh well.  I did call this an experiment, right?  Tonight I will try it again and maybe I will make it through the whole Intro this time! God bless Zumba.

I'm out like trout,

Laura

6 comments:

  1. "So, all in all, this went WAY better than it could have gone!"

    You are awesome!

    (It will get easier.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura.... Don't get discouraged.... I command you! The thing about weight-loss is that it takes time. Of course, you would not be able to finish the workout because you just started! My own experience: I tried to be my own hero on the first day of the "Couch to 5K" program and posted on my FB account saying that I failed. A friend of mine said, "It's your first day! You're NOT SUPPOSED TO FINISH!" And if you honestly think that you didn't burn any calories, you are wrong, my friend. Your heartrate was elevated and you got tired, which means you burned off some calories! You got off your hiney, strutted your stuff, and got as much done as you could given what you are now. You ought to pat yourself on the back for giving this your best. My suggestions for you is to take baby steps on this journey. What you cannot afford to do now is feel bad about yourself and drown any miseries with food. It's tempting but isn't the answer. Seeing that you can't make it through the Zumba means you need to start with something that you CAN finish. That will give you a sense of accomplishment and a big smile! So, good job, Laura!! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Now I'm glad I saw you on Facebook and added you. Maybe you will motivate me to get my self into gear and try and lose weight too. Keep at it.
    Amie
    http://amiet87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that maybe you should be in the Zumba class with all the people. Maybe not this week, but sooner than you think. Or even a spin class or something like that. You feed off the people around you and you CAN GO AT YOUR OWN PACE, contrary to popular belief. Find one that makes working out fun and you will gain confidence, endurance, etc... far quicker than doing it in the comforts of your den. Just like with this blog out there for the masses, your being in class will have the same effect. It will make you more accountable to yourself because you will try to go longer with the people around you. I tend to take a couple classes a week and find that I get a much better workout than if I was to do it on my own. Also, if it's too much, don't feel bad if you have to slip out in the middle of class. It is acceptable. Just might want to get a spot near the door. You also might want to look into a personal trainer one day a week or something like that. If you are paying for a 30 minute session a week, knowing that you are paying someone to kick your ass will make you want to work harder during the week when you aren't with the trainer. Like I said, maybe not this week, but you sooner than you think you're ready. Just my $0.02.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on keepin' on. I am going to try Zimbu. Maybe we can pass out together!!! I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what Zimbu is. Maybe it'll be better than Zumba.

    ReplyDelete