Welcome to my Weight Loss Experiment!

I need to lose weight and I need help doing it. I'm hoping you will want to be a part of this year long process. I've decided to blog every day for the next 365 days about the successes and failures of my overweight life. Feel free to comment, encourage, criticize and share your own experiences with WEIGHT LOSS IN A FAST FOOD WORLD!

Me!

Me!
Working in a Soup Kitchen in Washington D.C.

If you want to post a comment...

You have to have an account with one of the profiles listed (Google is very easy to sign up for - all you need is an email address and a password). No biggie! Then make sure that your internet settings approve third party cookies. Once you have that you can post 'til your heart's content!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Succulent Wild Woman

Well folks, I survived another week of camp and I only gained 1 pound.  I consider that to be a HUGE success!  Other successes include my hike to the cross, eating mostly my own food all week (which was easy at first but got harder as the week went on), and bonding with the kids in a way I never have gotten to since coming to Alabama.  One of the reasons I work with children and youth is because I get to see God so purely in them all the time, and this past week was no exception.  I have to brag about the kids for a second because, quite frankly, they deserve it.  I believe there were around 27 high school kids at CYF Conference (for you non-Disciples of Christ folks, that's Christian Youth Fellowship Conference, a.k.a. high school church camp!) and this year each and every one of them displayed such grace, such generosity, such love for one another that I was often moved to tears.  When I wasn't crying I was laughing at their jokes, intentional silliness and unintentional goofiness.  They welcomed each other so completely that I find it hard to imagine anyone felt un-accepted.  Basically, camp was the anti-high-school experience that I wish more teens could have.  I truly love each camper so much!

In addition to all of the inspiration I got from the kids I also received the most amazing amount of support from each and every person there.  I got hugs, "way to go's," warm fuzzy notes of encouragement AND notes of solidarity, and so much more that I had the intense feeling that there was no way I could fail with so many people lifting me up.  Nothing is better than positive reinforcement to motivate me to work harder. 

During my last family group meeting we went around the table and took turns hearing all the affirmations the group had to say about us.  When it was my turn, one lovely young lady called me a, and I quote, "succulent wild woman."  She said it was a phrase coined in a book her mom was reading and she said that was how she saw me.  I'd like to believe that by being a "Succulent Wild Woman," I am a woman who sucks the marrow out of life and savors every moment of it; that I am wildly free in my own skin; and that I encourage others to be free in their own skin as well.  That young lady, whom I shall call Rose gave me this label that I'm not sure I can live up to now, but I'd sure like to work towards being a "Succulent Wild Woman" in the near future.

All-in-all, my church camp experience was one to put down in the books and I wish I had another week of it to look forward to this summer.  I wish all of the seniors blessings and much success as you leave this phase of your lives and move on to bigger and different things.  Know that God goes with you, as do all of us.  We are here for you always.  And here is a bit of wisdom from this Wild Woman, make sure that you take advantage of every opportunity that God sends your way, take as much as you can from every experience you have, and live your life to the fullest.  And most importantly, do not be afraid to be vulnerable with the people in your lives.  I have learned that, while vulnerability is a frightening thing, it is also the one thing that allows us to be the best of who we are and invites others to be the best of who THEY are as well.

I love you all, and until we meet back here again,

Peace, love and Church Camp!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment